Going Vegetarian/Pescatarian

4/10/2012

Hello all! How was your Easter weekend? Lovely, I hope! Since we live so far away from family, our holiday weekend was a somewhat quiet and relaxing one. It consisted mostly of bookstore browsing, reading in the sunshine, fresh air + walks with Coco Bean, and shopping the colorful aisles of our favorite organic market. We are there almost everyday for their fresh veggies and fruit, which brings me to my next announcement: I have officially become a vegetarian, hooray! 

I've pondered the idea for years now, but I was always too nervous since I didn't have much knowledge on nutrition, and I wanted to make sure I was going about it in a healthy way. My main reason back then was because I loved animals too much to eat them. Now, after learning more and more about where the majority of our meat comes from, what the animals we are eating are in fact eating themselves, and how it gets to our plate gives me just as strong of a reason. Not to mention the conditions + treatment most animals have to endure, and that animal protein is a hot topic around heart disease. I am happy to have learned that we can obtain every protein, vitamin, mineral, and nutrient from plant-based foods, and it can do wonders for your body and health. This makes me much more confident in my choice, knowing by eating my fruits + veggies {even by juicing} + nuts + seeds, I am having a balanced diet. 

I've already noticed a world of a difference in my health and overall appearance in the past couple months from not only cutting out meat, but also cutting out grains, gluten, refined sugars + flour + oil, and of course, toxins. It may sounds super hard and complex, but really it is quite simple. Does this mean you can't enjoy food? Of course not! You can still bake and prepare yummy meals everyday. There are plenty of fresh natural alternative ingredients out there that work and taste just as good, and most importantly, are good for you because your body was designed to eat them.


Just to note, I haven't gone vegan, but pretty close to it. I have been able to replace most animal products with healthy superfood substitutes {i.e. coconut and almond milk over dairy milk}. I am still quite fond of sushi, raw honey, and vegan-fed/ local/ free-roaming organic eggs, so I won't be giving those up anytime soon. Speaking of which, we have recently been buying blue eggs and they are delicious! Normally I can taste some difference in eggs, but these are just wonderful. They are from Ameraucana Hens, which gives them their gorgeous blue and sometimes minty green color. If you see them in your market, give them a try. They are a little pricier, but you can definitely taste the little splurge. Happy Tuesday, friends!

Good reads + documentaries:

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Congratulations on the diet change! It is so great to know more and more people are taking control over what they put in their bodies. I've been vegan for almost 7 years and will NEVER go back. You are already gorgeous so I'm sure you are glowing now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah!! You are so sweet. That is so awesome you have been doing it for that long. Your skin must be flawless ;] If you have any tips or advice, I would love to hear about them! xoxo

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on such a big step Sarah! I've been Pescatarian for 4 years now (basically vegetarian but very occasionally eat Salmon) and it's the best things I've ever done. I always liked eating meat, but the change for me was completely based on loving animals too much :)
    The best thing is, it really opens up a new world of great foods for your body and I firmly believe that it keeps me feeling healthy and younger than my years.
    Can't wait to see everything you have in store and congrats again!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Serena! Since I occasionally eat sushi + fish, I suppose I would be more appropriately categorized as Pescatarian too! Thanks for that info :] I'm super excited for my new lifestyle, and happy to be in the company of so many others who care so much about their health as well as the well being of animals. Xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    Congratulations on becoming vegetarian! I have been a vegetarian for almost 10 years now and it was the best decision I ever made. I was the same in that I love animals so much I couldn't bear to eat them anymore. I was about 14 at the time when I made the change and have battled lots of backlash from people about my decision (including my parents!) but I will never go back. There is so much delicious vegetarian food out there and I feel great!

    There's a book you might like to read that will reaffirm your decision. It's pretty horrific book but it made me more confident than ever that I had made the right choice.
    http://www.eatinganimals.com/site/book/

    Well done :)
    Naomi from Treats a la Bark
    xox

    ReplyDelete