4/16/2012

We are thankful... and sort of channeling Cleopatra

4/16/2012
This week was a rough one for our little family. I am always checking Coco Bean for anything and everything on her body + skin {you know, just being a mom!}. Well, I noticed a small pink dot on the very top corner of her nose earlier in the week and didn't think too much of it since her eye pigment has slowly changed over the years. I made sure to keep my eye on it, and within a couple of days it rapidly morphed from a pink dot to a pink tumor like lump about the size of a pencil eraser. It didn't seem to be bothering her, but I called her vet right away to make an appointment. It was a long 4 days of googling bumps, lumps, and tumors, and watching her behavior very closely. Needless to say I was a complete and utter worry wart. A million different scenarios raced through my head, and cancer was lodged in the back of my mind. There was no way I was going to get it out of there until I had good confirmation. 

After a long week, we arrived at the vets office on Friday. Bean was nervously shaking, like most dogs at the vet, only to find out I had written the time down wrong and had to wait another hour. An hour wait when I was already so anxious was not what I was wanting to hear, but we made good use of our time by driving around the corner to the pet supply shop. Coco and I walked in and she picked up off the shelf a mini plush alligator toy and walked it right over to the check out counter, getting a lot of oohs and awes while doing so. 


We arrived at the office again, this time her nerves were gone since she had her new little buddy with her, which made me feel a tad better about the situation. We went straight back to the room and proceeded to tell them what was going on. They decided to take some sample test to see what we were dealing with. Since the lump was located in such an awkward spot, they decided to take her in the back room so she wouldn't be distracted or move too much. On the first one they didn't get enough of it to get a good look at the cells, so they had to take her back for a second. The thought of a needle going into her little tumor made my stomach queasy, and even more so thinking of the unknown. The staff could tell I was nervous, and offered me water and lots of comforting words, which I greatly appreciated.   

After the second sampling they left Bean and I in the room alone while they took a look under the microscope. It felt like hours we were waiting, but in reality it was probably only 15 minutes. It seemed like forever, and we both just sat there. Me staring at her and her staring at her new toy. Finally they came back in the room to let us know they would need to send the sample out to a lab because they weren't seeing what they wanted to see. This meant more waiting. They said to go home and have a good weekend, and "try not to think about it". But that's all I did. 

Over the weekend my husband had to go out of town, so it was just Coco and I {and her neighbor boyfriend who we were puppysiting}. I made sure we kept busy and tried to stay positive with lots of prayers and cuddling, and constantly fighting off the tears, which I failed at that several times. Looking at her, it really hit home how important she is to us. She's like the little staple of our home, of our life. She's there for all the ups and downs, always happy and wagging her tail, loving us unconditionally. She has impacted both of our adult lives so much and neither my husband nor I ever wanted to picture our lives without her, but this weekend it gave us a tiny glimpse, and I hated it. To lighten things up a bit, I had a mini photo session with her in our living room. She looked so swanky and stylin' in my pink beaded necklace. It definitely perked up the mood a bit! It's hard not to smile when looking at her furry face. You can't see the tumor in the photos since she has so much fur around it, and I think she probably prefers it that way.


This afternoon I was elated to get a call from our vet letting us know that to all of our relief her tumor was benign histiocytoma, not cancer, and it would slowly go away over a few months. Hooray! I think I let out a little giddy scream over the phone. The Dr. said she was just as anxious as I was to get the news, and called the second the results came it. I think our little Bean definitely had a fan club rooting for her good news! 

This whole scare makes me feel so proud that we have started Coco on a path to a healthier lifestyle. But at the same time, I can't help but think to blame myself, and to think if we had started this a little sooner that it wouldn't have happened. Not that we were loading her with sugar and greasy foods before, but knowing what her ingredients were in her food and treats, and using organic products on and around her. Everything matters, anything can have an impact on your dogs health. We have recently started her on a grain/gluten-free dog food, and are incorporating organic raw fruits and veggies that are rich in nutrients and antioxidants into her diet. Hopefully this is the first and only health issue we ever run into, because I wan't to see her white furry face, pink eye and all, for years to come. My heart is happy, tonight we celebrate!!

xoxo

Do you know whats in your dog's food? See the reviews, it might surprise you!


7 comments:

  1. OMG! My heart is with you Sarah. I'm so glad everything is ok. If it makes you feel any better, I get exactly the same way. Sadie Shih Tzu is part of the family too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Liz, It means a lot! It's so hard not to worry about them isn't it? I'm just so relieved now, thank goodness :]

      Delete
  2. Wow, Sarah. I'm so sorry for your scare. That took a lot of courage to get through the weekend alone. I'm glad everything worked out and please keep us posted on Coco's progress. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it definitely made for a long waiting weekend, unfortunately. Thanks so much for your sweet words, Sarah, I will definitely keep you all posted Xoxo!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, I can completely relate. Soda had a similar situation with a growth on her eyelid recently. The waiting is so hard. I'm SO glad that Coco is ok and sending you both a big hug from across the Pacific! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Serena, the waiting is for sure the worst part of it! How is Soda's eye doing? I just love that girl so much, and I haven't even met her. Thanks for the support as always, you two are the best! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Like everyone else, I'm so happy to hear that Coco is ok!

    ReplyDelete