It's officially strawberry season here in Florida, and since I live just hours away from the 'Winter Strawberry Capital of the World' all I am hearing about lately is strawberries. A favorite of both mine and Coco Bean. Just think of the yummy things you can make with them. Not to mention just eating them all by themselves is oh. so. wonderful.
I'll admit, before I changed my eating habits and became somewhat of a 'health nut' (I'll take that as a compliment!) I was obsessed with cupcakes. No joke, I was addicted. Its been over a year and a half since I've had one of those refined-sugar laden grain-filled things that I use to love so dearly. BUT today I have a healthy option for all of those healthy eaters out there that is sure to satisfy your now and then cravings. Plus it won't leave you feeling, dare I say, poofy, afterwards. Oh, and just in time for Easter! This is a great grain/gluten free holiday option that is naturally sweetened and paleo friendly. You're going to love these springy strawberry pillows of heaven!
|Image © Chic Sprinkles|
The recipe I followed is from Against All Grain, but I altered it slightly, and bumped the sweetness down a notch. Love her recipes, definitely check her out!
• 2 1/2 cups almond flour
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/4 tsp himalayan sea salt
• 1/3 cup organic raw honey
• 1/3 cup unrefined extra virgin coconut oil
• 4 local pasture raised eggs at room temperature (more info on why to consider buying pasture raised)
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1/2 tsp lemon zest
• 1/2 cup finely chopped organic strawberries
• 2 egg whites at room temperature
• 1/4 cup honey
• 1/4 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
• 2 1/2 tbsp freshly pureed organic strawberries
Directions for Cake:
• Preheat oven to 325˚ Fahrenheit and prepare your baking cups.
• Combine all of your wet ingredients (for cake) into a high powered blender (Blend-Tec and Vitamix blender do a
wonderful job). Puree for about 30 seconds or so making sure the honey is well blended.
• Add in the dry ingredients and blend on a high setting for 45 seconds. (Using my Blend Tec I did a full cycle set on
'Smoothie'). This ensures that they are no lumps and that your almond flour is extra smooth.
• Using a spatula, fold in the bits of strawberry into the batter, and transfer into the baking cups.
• Bake for approximately 18 minutes. Then let cool on a baking rack.
Directions for Frosting:
• Bring honey to a boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
• Meanwhile, beat the egg whites and lemon juice until frothy and you can make soft peaks.
• While still mixing, slowly pour in the boiling honey.
• Continue beating for about 5 more minutes.
• Fold in the pureed strawberries and then you're ready to frost your cakes.
Get your strawberry on, my friends! xo